Monday, June 20, 2005

 

Now there's modernism and there pseudo-intellectual modernism

Dear Iranian Progressives,

Your good people, I know, you want to build a better Iran and all that.

All good things on their own. I just want to say one thing:

A Handshake? For goodness sake! You think that doing the opposite of what the status quo is rebeliion. Give me a break!

Let me put it this way. I was born and brought up in the west. Lived here all my life.

I never would let any individual shake my mother or sisters hand. Thats a red line for every muslim who lives here.

At what point are you going to stop making idiots of yourselves and actually start talking issues
Comments:
You wouldn't allow your mother or sister to shake hands with somebody? I came to this site because I saw your post at muslimwakeup.com, where you were talking about the violence against women in Egypt. you said:

"It's a sad but historical prescdent and is not just restricted to Arab or Islamic culture. In fact I would argue it a remnant of the Jahiliya that has never gone away."
You were talking about how women are routinely raped and beaten to humiliate the men who consider themselves their protectors. I am a westerner, I am not religious, but
I can understand a man's need to protect the women of his family, however I don't understand the purpose of telling my wife, for instance, that she isnt allowed to shake hands with men. Could you explain how this is justified? is it a commandment from The Qu'ran? How is this different from the poor treatment of women as second-class citizens or slaves in Jahaliya?
 
Because I love them. The Hadith and Sunnah say that women and men shouldn't physically touch unless they are mehram, or considered so.

Mehram means all those people that are literally not strangers. Thus your blood relations , close freinds etc.

Not a bloody reporter for the BBc to show hhim modern you are.

Would you ask your wife to kiss othermen full on the lips? Well its not culturally acceptable for you, thats your redline, are you therefore making her a slave?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?